September 9, 2022
Dear Onteora High School Families,
It was a pleasure welcoming back students to school this week. There is a lot of excitement among faculty, staff, and students about all of the scheduled and potential activities and events that are being planned. I would like to take the opportunity to provide you with some brief information:
Please note that the correct date and time for our High School/Middle School Open House is September 22nd from 6:00 P.M. - 8:30 P.M. This will be a great opportunity for parents and guardians to meet their child’s teachers in order to learn about course curricula and teacher expectations. Additional information will be sent home. Parent-Teacher conferences will be held in November.
We are in the process of finalizing our Homecoming plans. Homecoming spirit week will begin on September 19th. The Athletic Council Club will designate a theme for each day of the week for students to show their school spirit. Homecoming weekend will begin on Friday, September 23rd with a tailgate event after school, followed by several athletic contests. Events will continue on Saturday, September 24th with several athletic contests, a parade of athletes, and senior recognition. Students will be invited to a high school homecoming dance in the evening. Specific information, when available, will be shared on our website and will be emailed to all Onteora High School families.
Academic Support – After School
We will once again be offering after-school academic support in our core subjects. The schedule can be found on our website at https://bit.ly/3qio2sH. Please check the link often, as we are in the process of adding additional opportunities for academic support to the calendar.
After School Supervision
Due to the large number of students who typically remain on campus after school and utilize District transportation, it has become necessary for us to reinstitute our pre-COVID after-school procedures. This will enable us to provide better supervision and ensure a safe environment. Please note the following:
- Only students who have a legitimate purpose to be on school property after the instructional day will be permitted to remain in the building and in a supervised location. Legitimate purposes include participating in an extra-curricular activity (clubs & athletics), homework help, the learning center, and detention.
- Students attending clubs, homework help, library/learning center, and detention must go directly to the designated classroom, and must report by 2:45 P.M. Students who arrive late may lose their privilege of staying after school. Students must remain supervised at the location of their activity until 4:10. They will be provided with a late bus pass by the supervising adult.
- Student-athletes who are scheduled to participate in an immediate event (I.e., practice/game) must report to the event’s location by 2:45 P.M. (or earlier per their coach’s directive). If their event starts later, they must either go home and return later for the scheduled event, or go to a designated supervised classroom. The location of this room will typically be room 121C/D, but this may change. Student athletes will be provided with a long-term late bus pass for the sports season in which they are participating.
- Students who wish to remain after school to attend a school-sponsored event must proceed to the event immediately. If the event starts later than 3 P.M., the students must go to the supervised classroom and be present by 2:45 P.M. These students will take a late bus home and will be issued a pass upon leaving the event.
- Students are not permitted to cross Route 28. Food and snacks will be available right after school in the cafeteria.
High School Calendar/News
I encourage students and parents to check the high school’s website often for current information. The calendar on our site has been updated for the upcoming school year. You will also find announcements posted in the “Onteora High School News” section.
September 14 & 15: Picture Day (Students will receive information in their English classes.)
September 22: HS/MS Open House
September 23 & 24: Homecoming Events (Spirit Week will be September 19th-23rd)
September 26: School Closed (Rosh Hashanah)
September 27: Senior Portrait Retakes (by appointment only)
Thank you for your continued support.
High School Principal