October 19, 2021
Dear Onteora Middle and High School Families,
Thank you for continuing to be patient as we are gradually introducing more and more after school opportunities for our students. We are pleased to report that in addition to athletics, we are now offering many club activities and academic support sessions after the instructional day.
Due to the large number of students who are now remaining on campus after school and utilizing District transportation, it has become necessary for us to reinstitute our pre-COVID after-school procedures. This will enable us to provide better supervision and ensure a safe environment.
Please note the following:
- Only students who have a legitimate purpose to be on school property after the instructional day will be permitted to remain in the building and in a supervised location. Legitimate purposes include participating in an extra-curricular activity (clubs & athletics), homework help, learning center, and detention.
- Students attending clubs, homework help, library/learning center, and detention must go directly to the designated classroom, and must report by 2:45 P.M. Students who arrive late may lose their privilege of staying after school. Students must remain supervised at the location of their activity until 4:10. They will be provided with a late bus pass by the supervising adult.
- Student-athletes who are scheduled to participate in an immediate event (I.e., practice/game) must report to the event’s location by 2:45 P.M. (or earlier per their coach’s directive). If their event starts later, they must either go home and return later for the scheduled event, or go to a designated supervised classroom. The location of this room will typically be room 121C/D, but may change. Student athletes will be provided with a long-term late bus pass for the sports season that they are participating in.
- Students who wish to remain after school to attend a school-sponsored event must proceed to the event immediately. If the event starts later than 3 P.M., the students must go to the supervised classroom and be present by 2:45 P.M. These students will take a late bus home and will be issued a pass upon leaving the event.
- Students are not permitted to cross Route 28. Food and snacks will be available right after school in the cafeteria.
We appreciate everyone’s cooperation.
Jennifer O'Connor, Middle School Principal
Lance Edelman, High School Principal